Thread: Second guessing
View Single Post
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmp
If this is anything it is obstruction but given the sitch I would have a hard time with that also. I don't have a rule book handy so I can't comment on 8.5.4.B.
If you had a runner on second stealing third on the pitch F2 throws to F5, ball and runner arrive about the same time R1 slides into the glove of F5 and the ball comes rolling out. Do you call interference?
No, I wouldn't. Sounds like they all arrived at about the same time. What do you call in this scenario? R1 on 2nd. R2 on 1st. B1 hits a lazy fly ball that R1 thinks will be caught, so she stays at 2nd. The ball drops in front of the outfielder. R1 heads for 3rd. The throw is off target forcing F5 to move toward 2nd. The runner collides with F5 and the ball gets by the fielder. Do you have obstruction? Not per rule 8.5.B.4.B.

Rule 8.5 is entitled "Runners are entitled to advance without liability to be put out".

Rule 8.5.B says... "When a fielder not in possession of the ball or not in the act of fielding a batted ball, obstructs the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running bases.....

Rule 8.5.B.4 says..."When a runner, while advancing or returning to a base....
a. Is obstructed by a fielder who neither has the ball or
b. Is attempting to field a batted or thrown ball, or
c. When a fielder who fakes a tag without the ball

Effect: The obstructed runner and all other runner shall always be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpires judgment, had there been no obstruction.

What is confusing is that 8.5.B says nothing about fielding a thrown ball but 8.5.B.4 does. The wording is not consistent. If you take 8.5.B.4.B at face value, then a fielder who is attempting to field a thrown ball can not be called for obstructing the runner.

This is why I have such a difficult time interpreting some of the rules. The rulebook is inconsistent in places. It's hard to judge the intent of the rules committee! I only have the rulebook and the casebook. If there are two rules in conflict or multiple places where the same rule is worded differently, what do you go by? I need to search the casebook to see if there is a case play that clarifies the situation.