View Single Post
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I was also at Liberty Bell last week and Pereira was in our breakout session (R). He and Gerry McGinn led the discussion and Pereira went into a little bit more detail about the change that is coming. Without being too specific, he intimated that officials wearing the same "Cliff Keen shirt and Cliff Keen polyester knickers" in Carolina in September as they were in Green Bay in December is stupid - with nothing against Cliff Keen - but he sees everyone on the sideline in parkas and hoods and his guys are out there with the same thing on as warm weather with some extra undergarments on. "being cold doesn't make you a better official" was the main point.

He mentioned the full length black pants for cold weather games and I'm guessing a new fabric for hot weather. He did mention the Miller Lite commercials in passing, but the way he said it, I doubt it has much to do with any change.

He seemed different than I imagined he would be. Very much a rules geek, very big on making the life of the NFL official easier, not harder. We watched a lot of film from last season (the film he is currently sharing with the teams - TV and team film) and we focused on fouls from the R position. Wasn't there to "big time" anybody, loved to break down film and mechanics - like any other guy at a meeting. Even volunteered to copy his DVDs and mail them, along with their respective script of fouls, to each of us.

I would say it was a good clinic, but there were a few hiccups, being their first year. WAY too many people - need to cull that herd by about 25%. Audio/visual/computer operations were hit and miss. Brings any presentation to a screeching halt. Could have used a little more Q&A, but that goes back to number of guys there - it'll take all day if there's too many. Was at Honig's clinic at Mich. St. the month before and they had everyone submit questions relating to their position the the first day and the position clinicians made sure they touched on those topics the next day - making sure everyone got every question answered to their satisfaction. Maybe this needs to be a two day in order for that to happen.

Got booted from the Ace Center - had to get rooms in King of Prussia - some last minute Bar Mitzvah booking. Bummer.

It was like being at the Oscars for football officials. Just in awe to be watching a presentation from Art McNalley - he wrote the 7 man mechanics manual for god sakes. Jimmy Quirk, Hill, Schleyer, Camp....all stars. Was behind Quirk as we all filed out of the driveway - nice ride: 500SL Convertible.