View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Not to pile on a ref. I just wanted to emphisize what Chris just pointed out. Even in the summer time; players, referees, parents, coaches, etc... all want games to be called by good officials. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here with this audience, but it might effect how you guys work with partners in these summer games.

For example, my daughter played two weeks ago in an AAU regional tournament. There were fantastic refs for this tournament. Did they get every last call right? I doubt it (but I couldn't really point to a kicked call all weekend)...but they hustled, they had good mechanics, they paid attention, etc.... You don't always see this in summer ball or in youth basketball. I made sure to find the tournament director on Sunday and compliment the officials.

Last weekend we played in a tournament. On Sunday we played in a game that was horribly refed. Nothing against you guys, but these refs (one of the two in particular) were pathetic. There were awful calls (both ways) the whole game. At the end of the game, Team A up 2 with 10 seconds left. Team B has the ball, B1 has the ball on the wing standing still, not guarded close, not driving or dribbling, throws a pass back to the top of the key. The one ref calls a traveling call, that I swear no one in the building saw that way except him. She didn't switch pivot feet or take a dribble, I don't know for sure what he thinks he saw, and neither did anyone else. Her pivot foot didn't even come off the floor, I guess he thought she scooted her pivot foot, but I didn't see it, and I had a good angle.

I guess even if there was a scoot of a half inch that no one else saw, was there really an advantage gained? I guess I'll leave that question to you guys.

After the game Coach A said "I was trying to get them to call traveling the whole game, on some obvious ones, and then that guy whistles some phantom call at the end".

Before the game, the one ref was on the floor and we were waiting a few minutes for this other ref to show up. The ref who was already there was standing by the table, when he sees the other ref show up he says "I'd rather ref this game by myself then work with this clown." I know that goes against everything you guys believe with not selling out your partner and such...but might give you a clue as to this guy's competency level.

The kicker is, our club hosted this tournament. In essence we hired this guy (through an assigner). In the end in doesn't matter, it's just a game and in the long run it means squat. But I wish the assigner could have found more quality refs for the tourney, rather than some "warm bodies" as you guys put it.

I've been around here for a few months, and I hope you guys don't think I'm just ragging on some refs, because really that is not my style. I think anyone who does what you guys do and the level that most of you do it, is very special and really cares about kids. I keep my mouth shut "almost" all the time about the refs, but I feel comfortable venting in this environment.

I just have to keep in mind that even in the summer, everyone is trying to get better. I guess including the refs.

And before you ask, our team lost and my daughter was the one who traveled. We beat the team on Saturday by 19 and lost on Sunday by what ended up being 4 points in OT. But no matter what the refs did or didn't call, if our Center hits a three foot shot at the end of regulation we win the game. No sour grapes here. Just wishing more of you quality guys would work the summer games, rather than leaving it to the "warm bodies". Maybe there isn't enough quality refs to completely cover middle school age girls ball in the summer, given that there is plenty of competition for your services.