View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Reacts to criticism from the crowd by talking back, several times. He offers people the opportunity to come do it better and even threatens to call the game.
After all this, during one timeout I'm holding the ball and he asks me for it so he can shoot around. I ask him quietly, "What, you don't think we've got enough problems already tonight?" He looks at me like he has no idea what I'm talking about. So I toss him the ball and walk away.

Today I'm wondering, as a matter of professionalism or just general principle, if I should have (a) kept the ball and walked away, and/or (b) gotten in this guy's grill about his behavior.

What would you have done? What if it were a regular season game, rather than a summer tourney?
BITS, am I right to assume that this is a new(er) official since you didn't know his name? How long do you think he's reffed for?

Just as another person said, this individual might not have been exposed to professionalism before and not know what's expected.

If one of my partners asked for the ball in that situation I'd simply say quietly to him, "I don't think it's the right time to shoot the ball around."

After your original statement since he looked baffled I wouldn't resign, but I'd clarify it for him and say, "It's probably not professional to do that right now."

I always try to say it politely and without bite in my tone so my partner doesn't get defensive. Teaching opportunities aren't only for players and coaches, but for your partner(s) as well.