View Single Post
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

TWP or rec league

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
ah! OK, thats clear. I didnt realize you meant R1 and not the batter-runner...must be that terminology thing again

Almost a TWP, but I see your point, if F3 is playing behind the bag and esp since R1 must advance to 2B. I can see myself making that call, and on the ensuing discussion asking the rat "well, where were your pitcher and cather doing all this time?"
I actually had this same scenario in a game. It was rec league (actually at my Church) and the skill level is not, shall we say, very high. I call these games as a service to the girls, many of whom I know. F3 set up in the baseline between 1st and 2nd at TOP (time of pitch). The ball was a slow roller down 1st base line. F3 reacted but did not advance. R1 on 1B collided with F3. I probably should have called Obstruction, because in my opinion F3 should not have been fielding that ball. F1 nor F2 moved on the play. The ball never made it to F3 on its own momemtum. She had to go up and get the ball. Which she eventually did after getting untangled with R1. It worked out in the end, though. She got the ball and tagged 1B for the force out. Last out of the game.

I've also seen a similar play at home. Suppose there's a short dribbler out in front of the plate. F2 is slow to react. The BR is not. She immediately takes off for 1B. If F2 then realizes she needs to make a play on the ball and steps in front of BR who can't avoid the contact, what do you have? Obstruction, Interference or Train Wreck?