View Single Post
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
Here's the scenario....

R1 on 1B. B1 hits a slow roller up first base. F3 move's in front of R1. F1 is not moving toward the ball, neither is F2. Should they be? Yes, but lets just say they don't. F3 is standing in R1's way. But the ball never makes it to her. It stops well short. In my opinion, F3 is not in the act of fielding even though she reacted when the ball was hit. She had no reasonable expectation of fielding the ball. I've got obstruction. That's what I mean by "no reasonable right to be there". Suppose the ball was hit down third base line instead and F3 did the same thing. Does F3 have the right to stand in the way of R1? No. However, she did react to the ball. You'd have obstruction right? So why proctect F3 in the above scenario, when she had no reasonable expectation to field the ball?

ah! OK, thats clear. I didnt realize you meant R1 and not the batter-runner...must be that terminology thing again

Almost a TWP, but I see your point, if F3 is playing behind the bag and esp since R1 must advance to 2B. I can see myself making that call, and on the ensuing discussion asking the rat "well, where were your pitcher and cather doing all this time?"