View Single Post
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Someone hit the point on the head (no pun intended)...if it's a flagrant foul, you'll know it's a flagrant foul. The fights are the "easy" ones to call because those are immediate ejections. Flagrants, by definition, are going to be of a "violent and savage nature" (NF 4.19.4) so if you have them, then I'm sure they'll scream out at you.

I don't want to get into the NBA Flagrant 1 (essentially the same as our intentional foul) and Flagrant 2 system, but Raja Bell's clothesline was clearly going to get him tossed according to any ruleset. Same with Udonis Haslem throwing his mouthpiece at Joey Crawford. A "violent" two-hand to the back on a shot = flagrant foul, while a hard push is intentional (this one is more subjective and you'd need to see an actual play to determine which it is).

As JR reiterates, why not just come up with a closed fist and avoid the intentional signal? If you have an intentional foul, then show the signal to the table when you report it otherwise you can tell the table what type of foul you have verbally. If you're sure you're calling an intentional, then by all means show that sign at the scene of the crime.

For my college/university games, we conference on all techicals, intentionals and flagrants (I haven't had any yet). Badnewsref, your supervisor is teaching it the same way I've heard it. Make sure your crew knows what's going on before everyone else. You see the same mechanic done at the pro level. There's always a quick conference with the crew before they report a flagrant.

It's unfortunate that the NFHS and NCAA haven't come out with set mechanics on how to deal with flagrant fouls. I'm assuming it's because it doesn't happen very often, so the need to come up with a signal could just confuse people. Who knows?!? Most times a flagrant foul is a result of a fight, so after the melee you wouldn't need really be standing in the reporting box giving signals to the table. You'd be conferring with the table crew and telling them face-to-face who's gotten ejected.

Last edited by Dribble; Tue May 09, 2006 at 06:28pm.