View Single Post
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 08:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
If you look back at all my posts you'll see that I've always advocated calling the game with the intent of the rules, but when that falls in line with the book, then I defer to the book. Simple as that. Does it add to the game if you signal an intentional foul for a flagrant? Not really because those who know (i.e. other officials, evaluators, and maybe coaches and players) will wonder why you then ejected the player. I'll think you changed your call. If I'm evaluating and I you call an intentional foul, but then find out by the PA announcer that the player is tossed, then I'm going to ask you about it differently than if you simply called a flagrant foul at the table.

You're using semantics to justify your response, but as Chuck says, let's not belabor the point.
Not sure exactly how to word this question so bear with me.

Are flagrant personal fouls always an instantaneous decision in the mind of the official? Meaning should an official know the instant that he blows his whistle that he has a flagrant personal foul as opposed to having just a intentional/hard foul?

What if you come up with just a fist b/c your immediate instinct was flagrant but then after processing all the info in your head (or getting some info from a partner) you then decide you're just going with an intentional? You would then have to explain why you came with a fist and then reported an intentional, right?

Haven't there been times in your career when you came with a fist for a common foul but then changed to an intentional?

IMO, I don't thinks it's that big a deal if for some reason you initially came with crossed-arms. If you end up ruling it a flagrant personal, coaches aren't going to wonder why you ejected his player b/c you will be explaining to the coach as soon as you get done reporting to the table. And in the JuCo conference for which I work, my supervisor (veteran Final-Four official) doesn't want any flagrant fouls reported to the table until you have gone to at least one of your partners first, so the other officials won't be wondering either, they will know b/c you told them.

As far as the evaluator, I would think he would be more concerned that you got the call right (flagrant v. intentional) and getting your version of what you saw on the play.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 09, 2006 at 08:05am.