Thread: "Help" Plays
View Single Post
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

"Help" Plays

Here's one that has been bothering me for a while.

Does anybody out there have an authoritative list of "help" plays?

Example: a check swing that the Plate Umpire sends down to U1 or U3. Common "help" play. Pulled foot or swipe tag on the BR before he reaches first that U1 sends back to PU- common help play.

As a related question, does anybody know when it's proper to ask for help on the play, when it's ok to refuse to go get help and when the other umpire should jump in without being asked. For example: check swing is a help play- when to ask is when the CATCHER (at least in my association) asks or when the PU might have been screened on the play . . . but when does PU say "No, I ain't sending that one down to my partner." Here in my association, we pregame that the Base Umpire(s) are supposed to immediately kill a foul ball that hits the batter in the box, without being asked for help.

The purpose of this post is to provide a decent reply to the coach when he asks/argues:

Coach: "I think you got that call wrong. Can you go get help from your partner?"

Blue: "Coach, that's not a help play. That call is all mine."

Coach: "Why isn't it a help play? Why can't you ask?"

Blue: " . . ." or "Because it's not."

A reasonable question deserves a reasonable answer. And for my own edification, I'd like to know if there is a decent answer.

Strikes and outs!