View Single Post
Old Sun May 07, 2006, 11:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
JRut, I think the fact that there isn't a mechanic for a flagrant foul doesn't mean that you can "call" it anything you want. In fact, to signal it with the intentional foul signal is incorrect unless at that moment you were going to assess an intentional foul rather than the flagrant. My understanding for reporting a flagrant foul is that you signal a foul with your fist and report the flagrant to the table, which leads to the ejection of the player.
I know a couple college-level officials who have advised to come out with crossed-armed initially if you think you may be ruling a personal foul as flagrant. Their reasoning being that in the case of most flagrant personal fouls the foul will be intentional in nature and you'll have a few moments to process the information in your head and decide between intentional and flagrant before reporting. The "few moments" being the time you are staying with players to ensure nothing further happens.

I've never had occassion to call a flagrant foul so I don't know what my natural reaction would be mechanic-wise.