View Single Post
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSABlue
[B]"open your mouth one more time and you will be leaving the field" ..He didn't say a word, but opened his mouth wide.[/B]

I agree with everyone else here. This action by a coach is mocking you and should earn an immediate ejection.

So I said you're ejected and don't come back for the next game either.
I'm really wondering about this one. How do you (as a game umpire) have the authority to suspend a coach from his next game? This is wrong, even if you have the authority. It just sets you up as the bully who abuses his power and sets up a battle the next time you two meet.

Remember, when you wrestle with a pig, pretty soon everyone is all muddy and no one can tell who is who.

You need to be better than that!!
Thanks to all,

When the assistant coach opened his mouth it was indeed to try to be a wise guy. I made it clear exactly what I meant by that by saying if another word comes out of that mouth you are outta here. I know that very first "One More" was a mistake and I'll not do that again. I'll do as you all have rightly suggested. However, NSAblue, I not only have the right to tell the coach he can't come back for the next game; but that's the way the rule reads (USSSA) "If a coach/manager is ejected from a game he must sit out the remainder of that game and the following game. Anyone ejected will be asked to leave the park at the discretion of the umpire. And if the ejected coach refuses... he forfeits the game.

Maybe the administrator should have told him he won't allow any coach that is tossed to come back for the next game, but the way he spoke to me on the phone he sounded as if the coach knew he blew it and was truly sorry and knew better to let down his kids on lousy sportmanship examples. The administrator also said they (Bears) really are frustrated because the team they were playing (Twisters) has a much better team than any in the league, (7 of the their kids played for the travel team all winter). This is an issue that many coaches have with the administrator. They complain it's not fair. The problem is the new coaches didn't know who were the best players when the teams were chosen. But he said they need to find out and it's their own fault for not knowing. The coach for the Twisters was the coach for travel team "Cyclones" so she knew all the best players and got most of them. There has been complaints all season because of this and it just came to a head in this game because the bears had an early lead, then a couple calls went against them.

But, all things being considered, I think the administrator was thinking of the kids, and the situation. Yes, he left it in my hands, but if he allowed the coach to come back without my agreement what would that have taught the coach about respecting umpires? Tonight, if there is no rain out I will accept his apology and move on. Thanks, ..... Al

Last edited by Al; Tue May 02, 2006 at 09:46am. Reason: USSSA instead of USSA