View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ironically I just worked a long 6 hour 3 on 3 tourney today and here were some observations

-- I mostly stayed in the lead spot and basically did my own version of live-ball rotation... had to ball watch for the most part but also made sure to comment to the big guys bullying each other down in the paint.

-- I called it like I would in a pick-up game for the most part, really relying heavily on advantage/disadvantage more than usual, since there were no free throws, it didn't make sense to call a foul if the basket when in or they got the rebound.

- We were playing 8 minute running clocks but I only had 1 5 second closely guarded call... I totally dismissed 3 seconds, except a very rare warning if the camping out was too much... Traveling I called thed 3rd step pretty much hah.

-- Calling 3 pointers can be difficult so just sell the call.

-- We had no protection against beetching and moaning (technical fouls were pretty much worthless without beign able to foul out and no free throws... I actually did call one when it was just too much)... So I'd emphasize really not baiting in any shape or form, including a friendly conversational explanation... you're going to miss a lot of calls because you've got 6 players by yourself, so don't open yourself up to questioning... just let them yap.

-- In the playoffs they created a rule saying that after 8 team fouls, the team that got fouled would get 1 point and the ball, to discourage fouling, so I had to tighten up the reigns a little bit...

The big thing is at the end of the game, there was really no way to get the winning team to lose position except a turnover and it was a running clock so fouling wasn't helpful... I don't know if that was the ideal setup for the games, but its what we had to work with.

Good luck, it def wasn't one of the more rewarding days of my life except a nice financial incentive.