View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSABlue
Al,
You are ONE brave person. Trying to learn the rulebook by officiating T-ball games can be a real challenge!!
My only real advice to you here is this........Don't stand in a place where the batter can hit you with a bat!

Keep working hard, read and re-read your rule book and enjoy watching the little ones play.

My kids are now 24 and 21. My daughter (the 21 year old) is a college softball player and plays at a very high level. She's been fortunate enough to play in the last 3, D-III NCAA WCWS. Still, some of our best memories of her ball playing career come from T-Ball.

Enjoy!!
NSABlue,

I tell ya I'm having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have, and getting paid for it! These T-ball kids are so funny. Tonight, I pointed over to the first base coach and pointed to her dugout to show her two of her kids were on the outside of the dugout. She called out "Rattler's get back in the dugout!". So I see the two kids going back into the dugout and notice one more walking towards the dugout. It was the batter. He was only listening to his coach. LOL... Then in the next game a large grass hopper is on the field and the first baseman has all his attention on every move it made. Pretty soon the grasshopper is on the first base line. Of course when the ball is hit he goes running down the base line to save the grasshopper from getting stepped on by the runner. Gotta love this age group. I told my wife about that grasshopper and she said I should have called Time Out and got it off the field...like it was a dog or something.

I know what you mean about standing too close to a kid with a bat in his hand. I watch the kids like a hawk. As you know catchers love to take part in any way they can (like putting the ball on the Tee) but I don't let them get close to batters. And I find I am saying "don't swing the bat" plenty of times each game. And at least a couple of times the coach would have gotten whacked by an anxious batter if I wasn't watching their backs.

Softball... the best game in the world. Enjoy watching your daughter play and someday maybe you will be one of those grandparents behind the backstop cheering on one of your grandkids. You may end up being a T-ball coach. I did that for a year. It was a blast and I run across one of the "lady bugs" from time to time and they still make me feel better than a king! Later, ...Al