View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
And you probably don't have interference on this play at all. An opportunity for a play DOES mean a chance to complete an out, not just a chance to retrieve the ball. This ball passed 2 fielders. Depending on your ruleset, this might be BY RULE not interference... and if that is not the case, depending on your ruleset, then even if F7 had a chance to catch up to the ball, did he/she have a PLAY? Probably not.

I'm confused by which set of rules you are using. You state T-Ball, and "he" as the runner, and also state that you use "fast pitch" rules.

Which rules, really, are you using as your base set of rules? (ASA, OBR, Fed BB, Fed SB, etc)
Hi Mcrowder,

Our T-Ball league is mixed boys and girls and we don't have a rule book for T-Ball, but we use the USSSA fast/pitch rules except for things like stealing or bunting, of course. Those rules say if a ball passes the pitcher and another fielder there's no interference...Unless there is another infielder that could have made the play behind the interfering runner. But I understand what you are saying that the fielder behind the runner probably didn't have a play taken away from her unless she was able to get a force out at 2nd or 3rd if had there been no interference. But that would mean a perfectly played ball, throw and catch. That's rare so I should not have called the runner out even though the ball was deflected. I don't know how something so simple can seem so confusing! It sure helps getting some real life experience and sound instruction that I get from you and others. I'll now make sure there is a play taken away from the fielder before calling interference, and if I judge that to be the case and call interference I need to call dead ball as Mike said. I love learning! It makes it more fun, and gives more value to the game to go on the field being sure of what I'm calling! The way it worked out I gave the offense an out they should not have gotten, but with that mistake I made another mistake and allowed the runners to advance. Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park ...Thanks! ... Al