View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
JKJennings,

I agree, to a point. The statement I made isn't an assumption I made, because I used to be an AAU coach before becoming an official. The respect that you speak of is given until proven otherwise. It's just that most AAU coaches prove otherwise. There is a reason I say 'most', because there are some very qualified gentlemen and women that work the sidelies on the AAU circuit, but they are overshadowed by the others. While I know that we have to act as professionally as possible at ALL times, most AAU coaches think they are coaching game 7 of the NBA Finals, and react accordingly. I tend to ignore most comments made by them due to their lack of knowledge of the rules; most of them played at some point (as did I), but never bothered to learn the true rules that they are bound to coach by. So what you get from these coaches is a lot of screaming, whining, and moaning which only makes them look foolish if they don't know the basic premise for their argument. The worst thing to do in this sitch is to argue back. No one will be able to determine which one is the fool.

FYI, a lot more AAU coaches are paid than are volunteers.

You are 100% right, Chris. Always a two way street.
AAU is definately a place to get tough skin, which in turn will help you in the High School Season. It also teaches you patiences as well as how to display professionalism. All of these are good quailities of a good official.