View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Further Rules Change info

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Changes
3-5-2 Changed the guidelines for headbands and sweatbands.
3-6 Added that a school logo/mascot is also permitted on the pants, compression shorts, sweatbands and headbands.
5-10-1 The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock when a timer’s mistake has occurred.
4-47-4, 10-1-5e New A fourth delay situation was added for water on the court following any time-out.
9-2-11,10-1-5 c, d Changed the procedure for delay warnings to only one warning for any of four delay situations (previously three).
SignalChart Established a new signal for a team-control foul. The arm is extended and the fist is punched.

2006-07 Major Editorial Changes
3-3-6 Clarified that a player who has any amount of blood on his/her uniform shall be directed to leave the game until the situation is corrected.
4-10 Clarified that a closely guarded count is terminated when an offensive player in control of the ball gets his/her head and shoulders past a defensive player.
4-19-14 Clarified that an unsporting foul can be a noncontact technical foul which involves behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play.
4-34-1,2 Clarified that a player is one of five team members who are legally in the game at any given time except intermission and that during an intermission, all team members are bench personnel.
5-11-2 Clarified that during a 30-second time-out, no on-court entertainment should occur.

Points of Emphasis
1. Concussions
2. Uniforms
3. Time-outs
4. Intentional Fouls
5. Rule Enforcement/Proper Signal Use

=================================================
Above is what will appear in the front of the Rules book this coming season. (I had it in the nice little chart form, but the forum keeps rejecting the post for being over the 10000 character limit, so I've cut it down to just the text.) I'm posting this as it sheds even more light on the coming rule changes. Particularly notice those editorial revisions. The first one is big change for me. The previous wording said excessive blood on the uniform so I used to allow kids to play with some blood on a jersey. That will no longer be the case.

And no, Tony, a "timer's mistake" isn't defined. But you are certainly astute to ask for a definition of this term as well as "obvious timing mistake."