View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...604190376/1002

Roasted umps: The Huntsville Stars pointed at two plays that could have changed the outcome of the Biscuits' 6-1 win Tuesday.

One was an apparent blown call by an umpire.

A foul call on an apparent home run by Huntsville's Greg Sain had the Stars and Biscuits talking about the replacement umpires.

The regular minor-league umpires are on strike. While they're out, teams are using local amateur-level umpires.

"We know they're not professional guys and we tell our guys to try to remember that," Huntsville manager Don Money said. "We just have to play the game like it is."

Minor League Baseball has ordered its teams to not identify the replacement umpires. The regular umpires didn't work spring training games and have been on strike since the start of the season.

"I never thought I would say this, but I can't wait until we get the (regular) umpires back," Biscuits left fielder Michael Coleman said. "We still have to play ball."

Coleman said he hit a ball at Jacksonville that hit the foul pole and was called foul. Money described the umpires that worked Huntsville's season-opening series at Mississippi as "rough."

The Stars even had a play at home last week where second baseman Callix Crabbe wanted to dispute a safe call on a force play. Crabbe instead motioned for Money to come argue.

"I went out and the umpire told me that (Crabbe's) right foot wasn't on the bag," Money said. "I said, 'Well, that's because we teach them to take that throw with their left foot on it.'"

On Tuesday, Money demonstratively argued the foul call on Sain's ball. Sain struck out on the next pitch.

"Definitely fair," said Sain, who homered in the first two games of the series.

"The minor-league umpires are in the minor leagues because they're not good enough to be in the big leagues yet, just like the players," Sain said. "(The replacements) are trying, but they're not at this level.

"The calls they are making are making things difficult for both the position players and pitchers."

Had it been a home run, Huntsville would have trailed only 4-3. The argument was the first noticeable spat involving the replacement umpires at Riverwalk Stadium.

"It was fair. He missed it," Money said. "He told me it went to the left of the pole. I said, 'You're wrong, you're flat out wrong, you missed it.'"
I don't get it. Two more runs and they still lose 6-3. And what was the other mistake?