View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
This is from the MSHSL website.

TO: Athletic Directors / Softball Coaches
RE: Softball Double First Base Requirement

This notice is to inform you that beginning with the 2004-05 softball season, the double-first base will be required for all regular season softball games including B-squad, Junior Varsity and Varsity. This change comes as a recommendation from the Softball Advisory Committee. The Advisory Committee meets annually with League staff to review rules/policies that govern high school softball and to make recommendations to the MSHSL Board of Directors. Following reviews by the MSHSL Region Committees and the Athletic Directors Advisory Committee, the MSHSL Board of Directors approved the recommendation on October 7, 2004.

Minnesota has indeed opted for using the double first base.
Notice who that is addressed to. Unless I missed it, (and I looked just days ago), it is not included in the officials manual nor in any other written material from the MSHSL for officials. I guess they figured we would just know what to do when we saw the base.

Besided, HAVING the base does not determine the rule. The NFHS had a very vague "rule" in the appendix up until this year, when they moved it into the playing rules section under state association adoption.

The MSHSL needs to firm up their communications with officials if, indeed, they have adopted the rule - and explain WHAT rule. Otherwise, you get what Rachel saw.