View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Its not that simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
So is it the majority opinion here that IF:

1. A curve ball (or other pitch) crosses the plate around chest high but ends up being caught by F2 at strike level (it looks like a strike where caught) it should be called a strike?

Agree []
Disagree []

2. A curve ball (or other pitch) crosses the plate around knee high but is caught below F2's knees or even in the dirt should be called a ball?

Agree []
Disagree []

3. A pitch crosses the outside corner of the plate but F2 has to reach across his body to make the catch, giving the appearance that the pitch missed, you call it a ball?

Agree []
Disagree []

4. F2 (left-handed, RH batter) sets up slightly inside. The pitch comes inside (looks like a strike to the coaches from their side view) but because F2 didn't have to move his mitt you call it a strike? Same with the outside pitch?

Agree []
Disagree []

I don't think its that simple, the key is to be consistent. The thing most coaches forget is that the zone changes for each batter.

Especially in HS, one guy is 5'3" and the next is 6'5".

1) As far as the curve you talked in #1 it depends to me where the hands are. I make the pitch cross below the hands. I've been trying to work on calling a higher zone and its hard since for years I have just not called the high strike.

2) If F2 drops the ball its not going to be a strike very often. If its a nice 12-6 curve ball and F2 catches it its a strike. The little slider probably not a strike.

3) That's a ball - and coaches won't say a word.

4) Depends on where he set up. If its a little off the plate strike. If he's a lot off the plate ball. (Coach will usually ask f2 was that outside etc., and F2 will agree)

Thanks
David