Thread: Scab Umpires
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 13, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I feel like I am driving the short bus for umpires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Mark,

It is incredible that a smart guy like you cannot understand that you lose so many listeners when you insult and call names. A lot of people will not listen to you, even if you are right. It seems like union rhetoric is not meant to persuade.

Instead, why don't you try a reasoned and respectful argument? Some of the guys who have worked Minor League games may see your point and refuse to do any more. Some guys who are undecided may be swayed in your direction.

Joe

I try very very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt...but it is getting hard to believe that there is any intelligent life out there...

I HATE REPEATING MYSELF...

Calling them scabs is not name calling the same way that calling a Cop a Cop, or a Crackhead a Crackhead is not name calling. Whether you or anyone else likes the term, it is the correct title. The Crackhead's name is Pookie, but his title is Crackhead.

...And again with the "there's no difference between a guy off the street in a blue shirt and the minor league guys" crap? Anyone who makes ignorant statements like that simply proves the opposite to be true. You don't know what you don't know; on a professional baseball field, that can get you in a lot of trouble. This has already started to prove true for the Scabs and will only get worse before there is a resolution to this. The gap is immense. That doesn't mean that amateur guys aren't good people, or even good amateur umpires, it just means they aren't on the level at that level. Some of us need to realize we really couldn't win a game of one on one with Michael Jordan. It's a great fantasy but, as much as we would like to compare ourselves to him, ("I've got 10 fingers and toes too...") we would not even be worth his time it would take to embarrass us. A blue shirt doesn't make you an umpire, and being good at one level doesn't make you even qualified at the next.

-Benjamin Franklin