Thread: Hey tomegun...
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

home and comfortable now

OK, back to what I wanted to discuss.

Though no one said anything about it, I made a call from the lead across the paint in one of my games this weekend (3-man). The ball had swung from the strong side to weak side slightly below free throw line extended. I immediately closed down. Before I had a chance to go ahead and rotate, A1 started penetrating to his right towards the baseline and the basket. The defender B1 has his chest against A1's left shoulder and arm with no space in between and was ever so slightly trailing A1. He then puts his left hand into A1's midsection causing A1 to slow down and forcing him to loop more towards the sideline. I didn't think there was anyway for the C to see the hand-check based on his angle behind the players.

I think I know Tomegun's answer but what do others think?

A. Go ahead and rotate even though A1 was already penetrating to the basket and then come with the whistle.

B. Pass on the foul and let the play continue on to the basket.

C. Call the hand-check even though I was calling from across the paint.

BTW, I didn't start this thread so I can't start a poll...but I'm really not looking for A/B/C answers, rather I'm looking for the reasoning behind why you would do what you would do.

And oh yeah, the UNC-VA Tech game in question was officiated by Tony Greene, Ed Corbett, and Ted Valentine (or was it Ed Hightower?, I get them confused )