Thread: SICA Conference
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well if you do not work in any Civil Rights law experience, I am sure there are statues that any lawyer would not be familiar with if they are not in that particular field.
What I said was it wasn't my primary area of practice. I'm quite familiar with virtually all civil rights statutes, as they are in a general area of the US Code. I am also making an educated guess at the various causes of action alleged as I haven't seen the complaint and can't find it on the federal database. Either it isn't on the system yet, wasn't filed in Illinois, isn't filed in federal court, was filed prior to 2006, or contains a party name I can't resolve from the article. Its almost certain that at least one of these holds true. Without seeing the actual complaint, I can only go by what I presume the various causes of action are. Perhaps they are alleging something I'm not familiar with but if its legitimate, that's not very likely. I've litigated several cases, including civil rights type cases, in federal court.

Quote:
I would also bet that there issues at hand that are not quite reported in the media.
I am in 100% agreement with this.

Quote:
To say that if someone rules in the favor of the plaintiffs in this case or if a federal judge finds some validated in the case and to call them boneheaded is interesting to me.
What I said was that I wouldn't be surprised if a boneheaded federal judge issues an injunction (didn't say anything about the merits of the case), implying he would be doing so without case. As I've explained, I would be very hard pressed to see how the plaintiffs in this matter have a valid complaint, much less any real success of winning, since for them to win, the court would have to violate the guaranteed rights of the school districts that have formed the conference they want to play in. A judge that grants an injunction on this nonsense would be boneheaded as he's only doing it for political, rather than legal, reasons. Unfortunately, there are too many federal judges that have a God-like complex since they are virtually immune from removal.

Now, if there's more information that you or anyone else has on this matter, I would be happy to reconsider. I'm basing my comments on the article, and while I agree that could potentially be short-sighted, its all in discussion here. I presume thats what you had in mind by posting the article in the first place.

And no, I've actually never been to Washington. I've constructed databases with information on colleges for years for sports stats (BCS computer type ratings) so I'm familiar with virtually every reasonably sized college in the US.