View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Comment by the Rut.

"What is the big freakin deal? If you want to use an indicator use the indicator. If you do not want to use the indicator, do not use the indicator. This to me is about as silly an issue as if you wear a mask or not. I do not see how this is going to help anyone or hurt anyone to call balls and strikes which ultimately is what we are out there to do."

Well, Rut, here's why.

I'm in Irvine, Ca this past weekend evaluating the Umpires working the UC Irvine Anteaters and the Cal State Fullerton Titans, a D1 game. Three Umpire crew. To work these games, the Umpires have to be pretty good.

Between the three of them (all 3 games) there wasn't an indicator to be found. At that level of Umpiring, carrying an indicator is something you just don't use, in Southern California, anyway.

If you aspire to the highest levels of Umpiring, get used to the idea of not using an indicator. If you are content with working the level of ball that you are currently working, then you would be correct; using, or not using an indicator is just a matter of choice.

Now, reading your past posts, I perceive, correctly or not, that you have a horse**** attitude. You wouldn't be welcome in my organization if you insisted on using an indicator and I insisted that you could NOT use an indicator.

It's a universal thing, Rut, not a local league thing.

Dave