View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think Snake Eyes has some great things to say, as I'm sure many others in this forum will.

Someone at a camp said to me a while back to "treat it as a buffet table"... take what you want, leave what you don't. The one thing you should do is listen to everyone. You don't ahve to use everything you hear, but to get your money's worth, you should listen to everything you can.

Off court attire... I've always found that a golf shirt and a nice pair of shorts is acceptable. I've heard people say that you shouldn't wear shirts or hats with team logos on it (especially teams from that league), I've never bought much into that, but I can see where they are coming from.

How to call games... One simple rule: Call the Obvious. If you are planning on going to a camp to get into a certain league, try and see a game or two (either in person or on film) between two teams in that league. That should give you an idea of what the supervisor is looking for. Plus, if you happen to see the officials that worked one of those games at the camp, you have something that you can use to start a conversation.

Definitely don't be a "yeah-but" guy. It makes you look bad and after you do it once, you lose a lot of credibility. If someone says something, say thanks and if you don't like it, forget it as soon as you walk away.

I've always had a pad of paper and a pen during classroom sessions. Even if you never use it, the fact that you have it and people see that, makes it look good. Defintely don't ask too many questions, but don't sit in the back and doze off.

Many supervisors like people to interact with each other at "socials" in the evenings. Have a good time, talk to as many people as you can... work the room, but don't get wasted. Yes, they are looking for guys that can call the game, but they are also looking for good people.

I wouldn't worry about coming right out and asking the supervisor when you can get in the league. They obviously know you are interested in joining if you paid the money to come to camp. At the end of camp, be sure to thank them for having you. A simple "Thanks for the opportunity. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you down the road" as you are leaving will usually suffice. That last impression is always a good one before you get in the car to go home.

I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say. This forum is a good group of people. I'm sure this will be a good topic.