View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 07, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
At the Caldwell camp last year or the year before, I heard somone say that everything you do at camp is observed and or leaves an impression.

Having said that, I was wondering if some camp veterans could chime in on some tips that you would suggest to someone that is going to a camp. (I mean big camps like Coast 2 Coast, Derosas or Kelley's etc).

Should you being an officiating resume?
Game Attire?
Off court attire?
Attitude?
Approach to meetings (lots of questions or just listen?)
Approach to games?
Approach to calls? So you go by the book or do you stick with advantage / disadvantage?
Hospitalities that include alcohol - beer or no beer?
Anything else you can think of

One other thought I had...in sales, we always try to make sure at some point, you ask the prospect for their business. Now, I know most of us wouldnt go right at an assignor and say gimme games but is there a tactful or suggested way to communicate with the camp directors should the opportunity arise? something more than "how was the weather last week in _________?" but something obviously less than "do I get some games or what?"

Thanks,

Larks
Game Attire: shorts, fitted stripe shirt and shined shoes.

Off Court Attire: Keep your mouth shut, listen to as much as you can and be eager to learn from instructors even when off the court.

Attitude: POSITIVE! Keep your mouth shut and listen. Always thankyou and ask if there's anything else they noticed. Just show that you are eager to learn and want to get better, very similar to off court attitude.

Approach to meetings: I wouldn't recommend being 'that guy' who has to ask a question on every subject or point.

Approach to games: Hustle hustle hustle. Get in position, call your game the best you can do. If they see you being lazy they won't forget it. Just work hard to try and call a great game.

Approach to calls: Call YOUR Game. Don't call a rulebook game, they don't want rulebook officials, they want to see you let players play through minimal contact and for you to blow your whistle when someone was disadvantaged.

Hospitalities that include alcohol - beer or no beer? I don't think it really matters, its probably good to sit back and have a cold one with the guys but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to get tanked.

I think you should sit down and ask yourself, if you were an assignor what would you be looking for in an official. As I mentioned before, they don't want rulebook officials. They want someone who looks like they belong out there, looks comfortable, looks in control when necessary, ect.

Also if you don't like something an evaluator tells you, say okay and DO IT. You don't have to do it when you get home but do it their way when you are there. Again, keep your mouth shut and listen. And don't say "yea, but." If you have one incident of giving them crap when they are trying to HELP you they will not want to help you anymore. And I can assure you, they will tell the story to all other other evaluators.

One thing, when I say keep your mouth shut, it does not mean say anything the entire time you're there. Be interactive with the evaluators, if you don't understand ask them what do you mean or something like that. That means you are interested and want to get it right. What I do mean is don't talk about other campers, evaluators ect. Be very receptive you advice and crit. even if it is mean or something you don't agree with.

As far as your last paragraph goes, I would not try to go let someone know you are interested. If they like you and if they like your game then they will come to you.

Good luck, have fun at camp.