View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Sal,

There are a few D-1 guys that will work tonight, and there are even a few ex-pro guys that will work tonight as well, some that were even released this past off-season. I think the original point was that there are enough guys out there that can get the job done. How well, remains to be seen.

JRut,

You are absolutly correct, that most guys that aren't working are doing so, so that they can sustain their more lucrative NCAA careers.

Jiggy,

You are correct, the next 2-4 weeks will be very telling.

To all,
No matter what side of the fence you are on, what will you do if the current minor league system crumbles? I have had 3 different league presidents call me and ask me to work, and I have told all 3 that I would not cross the strike line, and they all understood why, but each followed up with what if the system were to change? What if we started the system from scratch and the leagues were responsible for hiring their guys? What if after a couple of weeks, PBUC was something new altogether? I said, I don't know what I would do. But the truth is a lot of D1 guys and a lot of ex-pro guys are waiting for something like that to happen. That would be the best of both worlds, to have a secure job and be at home with family and friends, and work games that are within driving distance of where you live when you wanted to. With pay ranging from $120-$225 per game. What would you do if May 1, the AMLU and PBUC were no closer to settling and PBUC said by the way, it is a new day in MiLB baseball?
I will not cross as long as there is a strike, but I know a lot of guys, including my self that will gladly embrace a new system.