View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Thanks U od M Sam, you explained my situation much better than I did.

We have had some varsity teams in our association run this "play" during some scrimmages this season. It seems to be happening more and more in CA, according to the CIF. I was wondering if any of you other umpires have seen this happen where you work?

In our association meeting last night we were told that if this happens we are to eject the player for unsportsmanlike like behavior and warn the coach (other associations are also ejecting the coach).
(Justme): I am glad my post helped.
As mentioned in another reply, I am sure this did not happen (or at lease not as much) when the umpire had the automatic call on a missed base and the runner advanced to the next base. With the appeal process in place, I think some coaches "teach" the missed base "play". I know that when I am PU, I make sure to watch bases being touched in the event of an appeal by the defensive coach. Of course, when a base is missed by the runner and there is no appeal from the defensive coach we just continue the game with no mention or indication of the missed base.
Sam