View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 06, 2006, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Runner on 1st or 2nd (or both), ball hit to the outfield.

Has anyone ever seen a base runner going from 2nd base to 3rd base cut inside (around the cutout area or sooner) to shorten the running distance when he thought that the umpires were watching the ball instead of the base running?

If you have had this pulled on you what did you call?
I think what is being asked is if anyone has seen a baserunner advancing from 2nd to 3rd cut inside 3rd and miss the base on purpose (to shorten the distance to the plate) while the umpires (2 man system) were watching the ball hit to the outfield.
I observed this while watching my son's HS varsity team, 2 years ago, and the run scored without question. The umpires, opposing coach, many fans and many players DID NOT see the runner intentionally miss 3rd base. Guess what? They were all watching the fly ball. I would think that this could have been a live or dead ball appeal by the defense although the game continued as nothing wrong had happened. I saw this as I was curious if the PU would watch the bases being touched (or not touched) by the runners since the BU went out to track the fly ball to the outfield.
Sam