View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 09:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
I couldn't find this covered anywhere, so I can only assume, but I want to KNOW!

Man on 1st, less than 2 outs. Fly ball to the outfielder, caught. He throws behind R1 to try to double him off. The throw goes into dead ball territory. 2 base award.

Now, do you grant R1 a retouch at 1st as his first base and then award second? Or do you award straight to third and leave it up to him to retouch, for free. Casebook/rules references (couldn't find anything in rules) would be perferred if you have them (I don't own anything but this year's casebook, as I am a new umpire).

Thanks.
Somehow I was under the false impression, due to the runner passing 2nd base I believe, that this was not a caught ball. This whole time I have been arguing about an advancing runner on an uncaught ball thrown out of play.

Now that I read the original situation properly, the award should be 2 bases from the time of the pitch. 8-3-5b and 5-1-1g(3).

The runner, seeing that the ball was caught, can then retreat, retouch 2nd base and then go retouch 1st, as long as he touches 2nd before the ball goes out of play. Once the ball is dead, he can no longer touch 2nd before returning to first. Chances are most runners will have retouched 2nd long before the ball goes out of play.

PWL, you get one free kick in my butt. Take dead aim.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25