Thread: gps-4
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Crew, you always seem to stir up controversy on this website. I think you love doing it. In my opinion once the defender blocks the shot, secondary defender or not, contact after the block should not be considered a foul unless extremely violent. The blocked shot play to me is where you really see a difference between officials. Too many officials call blocked shots fouls. If the defender gets ball first and then arm or body try to reward the great athletic block and let the crowd get excited without putting your stamp on the game. Don't be so pure, especially if the defender just contacts the arm after the ball. Sometimes I even pass when the defender slightly contacts the arm first and then gets a lot of ball. I go with the big picture, the block shot, instead of microdotting and saying he clipped his arm. If a player gets 80% ball and 20% arm at the same time I go with the block. Now, if he clips his arm and then does not get the ball a foul must be called as this slight contact has a big effect on a shooter. Ask any shooter. The defender should be penalized for not being able to jump high enough to get to the ball. Reward athletic players as basketball is an athletic game. However, don't call this arm clip play on a made layup or a dunk which would result in a cheap 3 point play. Have a patient whistle and only come in late if the layup or dunk is missed. Also, try not to call fouls when players get hit on the arm after the release as this hit has no effect on the shot. Shooters get hit on the arm a lot after the release especially on drives to the hole and layups. Please don't call this a foul. Now, if a player gets sent to the floor after the release with body contact and no blocked shot on the play a foul needs to be called. Boy, I am really getting off the subject. I love to ramble. I guess since I used to be a teacher. The key is not to be too pure. The same thing goes with steals or stips. If the arm is slightly contacted but the defender gets a lot of ball go with the strip. Also, if a player gets hit on the arm on a steal attempt and does not lose the ball or his rhythm is not upset go with a no call. Also, if a player gets hit on the arm on a shot and then runs over someone like a train then ignore the hit to the arm and go with the charge. Referee the whole play, the big picture. Everyone sees the train wreck. Don't come in with some microdot call such as a player getting hit on the arm first. I recognize that these philosophies are probably not applied in the high school games as much, but for those of you interested in the college game these philosophies are taught and for those of you interested in the pro game these philosophies are especially evident. Back to the play, your probably safe to call that a foul in a high school game but please don't call this a foul in a higher level game.