View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
I had a Juco game yesterday and my first ejection of the year. Here is how it went.

In the top of the 2nd, the third out was made on a non-routine play at first base where the first baseman possibly had his foot off the base. My partner called the runner out and the entire dugout erupted. I warned the dugout and told them that they could not do that. At this point, assistant coach X attempted to explain to me that his players did nothing wrong. I warned him again and told him that it was not his job, nor his players’ job to argue with the umpires; it is his head coach’s job. Then assistant coach Y attempted to argue the point with me by stating, “The game is not about you!” I then warned him by replying, “And it is not about you or your players arguing with me either.”.

If you want an honest opinion, here it is. I've removed the majority of your first post because had you ejected in the second inning most likely none of the other stuff would have happened. This would be the reasoning behind ejecting early. It keeps the game under your control and stops bad situations from escalating into terrible situations.

This is how I would have handled it. As soon as the bench erupted I would have issued a bench warning just like you did. When the first assistant coach became even a little bit confrontational I would have cut him off immediately. As soon as the second assistant coach said anything other than "good job" to me I would have dumped him. At the JUCO level all coaches know what the proper decorum is for discussing calls with the umpires. They chose to breech that protocol and should have been dumped almost immediately. The first one, yea, maybe you did the right thing by keeping him in the game. But, the second one? No way.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Thu Mar 30, 2006 at 01:56pm.