View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 29, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Horrible mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
JV game today, V-mechanics. Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. I'm PU, partner is in C. Batter check swings, and hits a dribbler down the 3rd base line; ball goes about 10 feet. I jump out to make the fair/foul call, signal fair, and as I look up from the ground as I'm pointing, I see my partner moving into the "B" area to make a possible call at first. It's obvious the play is going to be at 3rd, catcher throws there, R2 is out by 3 steps -- BU's back is to the play, so I come up with the out.

In between innings I go to talk to my partner, and he tells me at our last association meeting (which I had to miss due to school), when they were reviewing some aspects of the V, our rules interpreter said that in this situation, on any bunt or small roller down the 3rd base line, since the PU is coming out of the box to make the fair/foul call, he should then also take the play at 3rd. I've been working the V for 3 years, and I've never done this before. Is this standard practice? Did I just miss the boat on this one somewhere? And, if this is what is supposed to be done, what's the reasoning behind it?
If your association is doing this, you ought to look for a new one - that is simply bad mechanics. PU take the first play at third??

Not only does he have a horrible angle but he is making the call at 50+ ft where BU has a great angle from B and is only about 30 ft from the call or so.

How can PU ever see a sweep tag or if the runner does a hook slide?

Not possible. I would definitely ask for some explaination from the association trainer etc.,

Thanks
David