Thread: Lanyards
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't like anything around my neck, hence I wear the traditional smitty clip on the shirt loop. I also take my whistle off instinctively at the end of a game (if we're done) just in case someone wants to grab it. Absolute worse case scenario there is if someone were to grab my lanyard and it didn't break off (very unlikely), I could get away by removing my shirt. Again, that's extremely unlikely, but if I had a lanyard around my neck, I couldn't get away. I know some of those are break-aways, but why take the chance? I certainly see the benefit of the noose over the old style neck lanyards, but not over the smitty, unless you don't have a loop on the shirt.

I keep a spare whistle in my jacket, but if we are only doing one game, the jacket is taken back to the room at half, so I'd have to trot back. I get two new whistles every year and rotate them and in hundreds of games have never needed a spare. I do, however, remember working with a guy my first year that said he broke several whistles by biting too hard. I've got teeth marks in mine, but nothing has broken yet. If you have broken even one whistle, then I'd recommend a spare on you.