View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 17, 2001, 12:22am
Administrator

JBDuke, your original posting made said that the ball was loose in the air when A1 pushed B1.

Your second posting is different from your first and so I will restate with some observations of mine own: A1 is holding a live ball on the court. B1 puts his hands in contact with the ball, attempting to take it from A1. B1's contact with the ball is not enough to create a held ball situation and B1 never makes contact with A1. A1, then falls to the floor holding the ball.

This play can be looked at in two different ways as you stated: traveling by A1 or common foul by B1. I believe that your observation of possible rough play by B1 is a valid one. I think that it is a decision that has to be based on what your judgement tells you at the time of the play. If B1's actions are a legtimate attempt to steal or tie up the ball, then you have a traveling call. If B1's actions are of that of a bull in a china shop and not of legitimate play for the ball, then by all means call the common foul.

I think that it is a play that as soon as you see you know which way you are going to go.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio