View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 06:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
The thing I would do under this situation, as far as the coach saying they wanted to quit, is to emphasize for as long as he or she will remain and listen to me is that you do NOT want to do this. It is setting a VERY bad example for the players and will only get you in a LOT of trouble depending upon the league authority. If that doesn't work, have the coach of the other team go and give it a whirl.

If this is an inseason game in Texas, I will tell the coach point blank: "coach, if you leave the floor with your team, it is very likely you will be suspended for the year and there is a very good chance you are putting your job in jeapordy. You and your team need to stay on the floor." After that, you don't have control of what happens.
I disagree completely with your philosophy.

It ain't our job to tell a coach what to do ever. It ain't our job to argue with 'em, convince 'em of anything, or try to talk 'em into anything. It also ain't our job to ever threaten a coach with a suspension or a possible job loss; saying something like that could come back and bite you in the butt later on big time. You've already got one extremely pissed-off coach. If you now try to threaten or lecture him, you're only gonna make her madder and possibly escalate a bad situation into a worse one.

Just react to what's going on and say as little as possible. Tell the coach that he's got one minute to put her team on the floor and get the timer to start the clock. If the minute runs down and she's not ready to go, forfeit the game. Then you just write it up as completely as possible and hand it into their league administration or whover handles these cases. It's their job to decide what happens next, not our's.

Jmo.