Thread: Recent Games
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham
The way I learned it, pro ball and NAPBL blue book, it is referred to as Backswing interference. The batter is only out if it is the third strike, but not otherwise. No runners may advance, but it is a delayed dead ball and the catcher can still have the opportunity to retire the runner. And NCAA 6-2-d refers to it as well.

I am glad we would rule it the same we just call it something different.
Durham,

I'm sure you are right that you call it Backswing Interference, since you are the one who is working the level you do.

This is what my copy of the NAPBL says:

If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard that he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire's judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the backswing (i.e., the follow-through), it shall be called a strike only (no interference). The ball will be dead, however; and no runner shall advance on the play.

If this infraction should occur in a situation where the catcher's initial throw directly retires a runner despite the infraction, the play stands the same as if no violation had occurred. If this infraction should occur in a situation where the batter would normally become a runner because of a third strike not caught, the ball shall be dead and the batter declared out.

The proper mechanic is for the plate umpire to call, "Backswing hit the catcher!" as soon as the violation occurs (while pointing at the infraction), and then to call "Time" as the play dictates.

After the play is over; the umpire should then turn toward the press box and announce and signal that such infraction has occurred-the same as he should do with any unusual play-in order that the ruling be made as clear as possible.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25