View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is why your count should be the only count. If you look in the rulebook (which we are supposed to use) and mechanics books, you still give a visual count in these situations. I do not care what the coach says, my count is what matters and that is what I would tell them. I cannot speak for this level of basketball and the people that work them. I can tell you from my lower level college experience we have people that start the clock improperly all the time. So if I go by the shot clock alone, I might find myself in a lot of trouble.

Peace
Seems like the right answer, although at some point at that level I think the ref has to be sensitive to those situations he is certain the announcers and the coaches will misunderstand. I don't think this falls into the "do the expected" thing category, but it's in that neighborhood. Sounds like the NBA guys have settled on a de facto 7.1 second, and trust the shot clock operator, rule to avoid the problem.

Since I can say with absolute confidence that I will never officiate in a league that uses shot clocks, it was mostly a point of curiosity.