Thread: In the Box???
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
In the Box???

I called my first Adult games last night using the USSSA rules. Very different from ASA, Federation and PONY. I've made it a habit of calling Fast pitch only and thought I'd branch out this Spring.I had a pitcher that was trying all kinds of different things. I talked to my partner, who told me most of them were legal. I went home and looked up the situations and could not find the answer there for one of them, and found out he was wrong on several others. I'm starting to think, the rule is "If no one complains, let 'em go!"

1) I definitely found the rule that said no quick pitch.

2) The pitcher delivered a pitch while the batter had one foot in the box and was looking at his 3rd base coach. I declared no pitch and he almost went past my threshold of patience in less than 3 seconds. After talking to my partner in between innings, he told me that if one foot was in the batter's box, the pitch should be legal, whether the batter is ready or not. Several other umpires agreed. Now, I've looked under the pitcher regulations, batter regulations and the definitions section for batter's box. Nothing explains what is considered "in the box." Can someone help me on this? I just don't see letting a pitcher take advantage of someone who is getting prepared to take a pitch.