View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 11:01am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I had another reminder as to why not to make physical contact with players and/or coaches last night. Early in the fourth in Freshman girls game a girl fouls out. She knew it and was already standing by the bench. I tell her coach that's five, tell the clock to give me a 30-second timer and start it. She walks over to me and sticks her hand out saying "thanks, good game". I guess it caught me off guard, but I shook her hand. Only she squeezed as hard as she could and then threw my hand away violently (ya had to be there), turned and stomped away. It was apparent her intentions were not at all as innocent as she made them appear at first. I immediately put my whistle in my mouth, and was a nanosecond away from putting air in it. Just counted to three and decided to handle it another way. I told her AD about it after the game and I will have them at least three more times this year and I plan on telling her that it won't be tolerated again. Comments?

[Edited by devdog69 on Dec 14th, 2001 at 09:05 AM]

I think you would have been very justified in charging the girl with a technical foul. If she made a big production of it and it appears she did, then she was trying to embarass you and was deserving of a technical foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio