View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Joe,

I do agree that telling a player that you're justifying a no-call because of the time and score is not wise practice.
As I said earlier, I made the statement in an attempt to help them realize that the LEVEL of their complaining at that point in the game was not necessary.
I guess I didn't do a good enough job.

Drake -

I understood your intent, and I agree with it. I'm just oversensitive (this week particularly) to saying things that could be used against me out of context. I wasn't suggesting you didn't do a good job!

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
The other point that ticked me off, is that why do players have to run crying to their coach when an official says something? Grow up! (More venting)
Here could be a reason (although I agree that some "growing up" is also in order): As a coach, I instruct my players never to comment to an official (except for the floor captain asking a polite, specific question). I tell them to approach me if they have a concern about the officiating, and in return I will mention it to the official politely if I cannot answer their question. I have found that it's most helpful to the quality of their play if they learn not to concern themselves with how the officials are doing. They already have five opponents' actions to be concerned about.