View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 14, 2001, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
"You are up by 23 points, relax."
I'm sure this is going to be unpopular, but here goes....

I make it a point NEVER to comment on the score when questioned about a call. I agree wholeheartedly that it's appropriate to adjust with the score of the game, but I've found that it's not been helpful ever to say so.

As a coach, if I were already irritated with an official and looking for something to gripe about, I might just jump on your (seeming) admission that you passed on a call because it wasn't a close game. As an official, I try (sometimes unsuccessfully) not to give coaches to much specific language to gripe about.

Another aspect: I just went through a situation where a report had to be filed to the state for an ejection (thankfully, I was neither the ejectOR nor the ejectEE!) The specific language used by the official was ill-chosen, and quoting it on the report made him look pretty bad.

As a young official, I'm coming the the personal conclusion that "the less said, the better." YMMV.

Joe
Joe,what you said above ain't unpopular with me.There's a lot of common sense in what you wrote,and age or being a young official has nothing to do with how to use common sense.