Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Nice thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by bbcoach7
Thought I'd add this to the discussion. At the lowest ages I coach (about 9), we sometimes see on ball defense with an arm extended in front of and often contacting the dribbler. If these players are not being taught correct on ball defense by there coach, my feeling is a good Ref can accomplish the lesson with his whistle. Sometimes my small guard can't compete. Thw worst is basically an arm draped across the dribbler while running/sliding along side. More prevalent when defender is significantly taller. I've concluded that the reason some guards develop the early habit of getting the leading arm/hand up and pushing on the defender's extended arm is because the Refs don't call that draped arm a "reach" often enough, so the dribbler learns to protect him/her self.
Help me here, coach, as I obviously can't see the play. Where's the foul? Are you seeing hand checks not get called? The draped arm sounds like it might be a hold, but when you say "reach" I'm having a hard time picturing contact.
Coach, just for the record, you do realize that reaching isn't in and of itself a foul? There has to be illegal contact before there's any foul at all. If the defender is reaching and creates contact, then it should be called. If the defender is reaching and not affecting the play in any way, hey, no foul. That's why Snax is confused.