View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 10, 2006, 10:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Guys, I don't think the call should be made either. But Larry chastised me in another thread because I agreed with the official who failed to call a FT violation on the offense during the first of two FTs in the Carolina-Duke game. That's where I got his quote from. I curious to see why he thinks one call should have been made but not the other.
Fair question...no lets see how this logic flys.

If I see someone violate the lane (or the arc restrictions) druing a game I know they are guilty. How much intelligence does it take to look down? Besides, those rules have been in place for years.

Popping the jersey being considered an unsporting act and subject to a T is a new rule this year. Given that (1) the player may not actually be taunting the other team...it was in an arena with fans of each team on all sides...and (2) in the thrill of the moment he may have forgotten the new rule...I pass on the T this time.

BTW, did I wiggle out suffeciently or do I still need to plead guilty to having a double standard?
Nope, your logic doesn't fly and you can't wiggle out of it either.

You want the rules called as written- no exceptions. Well, as I've already cited before from the POE, it's a technical foul by rule for a player to pop his shirt at the fans. It doesn't matter what fans either; it's a "T". There ain't no wiggle room according to the rule book either.

If you're going to pass on that call, but still insist that a different rule must be called as written, then I'd sureasheck have to say that you're applying a double standard, Larry.