View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 09, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by Justme

With chain link fences, and short foul poles, it is often very difficult for an umpire to determine if the ball left the field in flight or bounced over a fence, or left the field in fair or foul territory. The “all eyes” concept will often be of great help in getting this tough play correct.

That's a problem with the FIELD and not the umpires. Using your example suppose there was a line shot down the the left field line that Bounced over / (under) the fence. If your partner in A was the late Bob Hayes, he couldn't help you.

Another poster made a good comment. It's the LEFT Coast at it again. It's like the Coffee Surveys. One Survey says it';s ok and one says it's bad for the heart.

Once the coaches / players KNOW that BOTH umpires are watching the ball, get ready for the game to resemble a farce. Someone has to watch the action in the infield, otherwise players will take advantage, cut corners, or a defensive player Obstructing a runner.

In a 2 Person crew one has to be responsible for the ball and the other watches the runner. If you have 3 of you then you have some Lee-way. When and if the 2 Person System is changed by either the PBUC or the videos by say Gerry Davis, will they hold credence.

I'm from the East Coast and the Mechanic remains the same. California is different in more ways than one.

Pete Booth
It's not my example, it's the CBUA's example. I figure since my association is a member and they adopted the CBUA's suggested mechanic I'll do it their way... if I want to work for them.

Luckily this situation doesn't happen very often but if they want me to watch the ball along with my partner(s) when it does happen, then watch the ball I shall.

I only use this mechanic when working HS baseball, everything else I do it the old fashion way, the Right Coast way(?)

Yea, the Left Coast is different...... it is usually leading the way..... you'll all catch up sooner or later :-)