Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick82358

I take that back they are both travels -
if the ball hit the back board in the players hands and then he lost control of it - then landed there was no shot attempt I think that (S)He walked

Well, let's put it this way: it's not going to be a held ball between the backboard and the player . . .

The loss of control you describe could be seen as a fumble; if so, the player would have the right to come down with the ball, I believe.
Yup, he does have the right to come down with the ball. Of course, he should be called for traveling as soon as he finishes exercising that right.

If they go up with player control....and come down with player control....and the ball was never touched by another player when it was loose on a fumble.... or a "try" was never released....or a defender didn't stop a "try" from being released.......then it's a travel because of a pivot-foot violation.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Mar 7th, 2006 at 07:56 AM]
"then it's a travel because of a pivot-foot violation."

I am not a fan of the fumble rule. It may be a structural necessity, but it also rewards mistakes.

That being said, it's generally (but perhaps not perfectly) true that a player who lifts their pivot foot must pass or shoot (or stand on one leg . . . ).

Consider 9.5.1 SITUATION: A1 ends a dribble and then jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal. B1 partially blocks the shot, but A1 secures control again while still in the air. A1 returns to the floor and dribbles to the basket and scores. RULING: Legal maneuver. Both player control and team control ended when A1 released the ball. When A1 recovered he/she could dribble again similar to dribbling after catching a pass or rebound.

Noting that a FUMBLE is (4-21) "accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp", if a player standing on both feet and in control establishes a pivot foot (lifts one foot), then fumbles the ball, may s/he not retrieve the ball, no matter that the pivot foot comes down, no matter how many steps it takes?