Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Professional Interpretation:

In the first instance, no base shall ever be awarded when the umpire adjudges that the batter tried to get hit
Then what do we do if the batter (for whatever misguided reason) intentionally gets hit by what clearly would have been ball 4?

I agree that "intentionally getting hit before the ball reaches the plate" is not covered. It's clear to me, however, that we can't call it a ball or that gives the batter an opportunity to "force" a walk / ball call.

So, I invoke 9.01c / 10-2-3g and call it a strike -- if it was close enouogh for the batter to try this move, it's close enough to be a strike.
I don't understand why you think this is a point not covered.

In the generating play:

1. The pitch is not a strike.
2. It is the fourth ball.
ERGO:
The batter is awarded first.

What is difficult about this?

Everybody gets all excited because the batter prevented what you ASSUME would have been a strike.

I had thought this was a third-world play — until today:

Zapata, Texas, plays Rio Grande City, Texas, in the La Joya, Texas, invitational tournament at 2:30.

In the third inning, with a three-one count, the Rio (Rattlers) pitcher breaks off a curve ball that is headed for a strike. The Zapata (Hawks) batter is in the front of the right-handed batter's box. As the pitch nears the strike zone, he "twists away" from the pitch, managing to get hit in the process.

I am asbsolutely certain the batter intended to get hit.
I am absolutely certain the pitch would have been a strike.
I am absolutely certain that it was not a strike when it hit the batter.
I am absolutely certain I awarded him first base.

The result: Nobody said nothing.

Rio won, 3-1.

I expected the Rio pitcher might get buzzed when he came to bat, but he didn't.

Good sportsmanship reigned.

The Zapata coaches were not happy, though. I made them wear uniform jerseys. Here in South Texas they all want to wear warm-up jackets.

I told a coach in the second game he looked better in a uniform top: "When you're wearing that smock, you look like you belong on Brokeback Mountain."

He said: "I heard you were one of the stunt doubles." Which I though was a pretty good comeback for a coach.

His assistant coach, Jesus Landeros, had worked for me as an umpire back in the 1980s. He's still a summer-ball official.

In the first inning, there was an eye-lash play at first. Foot was late, "good academy mechanics".... Before I could sing "He's out," I heard Jesse yell: "He's out" but he was signaling safe, just like every first-base coach does on really, really close plays.

Lah, me.