View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by socalblue1
Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
I may be way of base on this so forgive me if I don't have a thorough understanding of what transpired. When the MLB umpires negotiations with the WBC to work those games hit an impass and broke down alltogether, why did the MiLB umpires decide to not support their bretheren and take the games for less money? It would seem to me that if the AMLU want's to take a stance for their members and ask others not to work their games, they've set a double standard by undercutting the MLB umpires by stepping in and agreeing to work the WBC.

Tim.
Tim,

The AAA umpires that are MLB fill-in's are working the games. MLB controls what they do doing spring training under a different agreement. If these guys had refused it would not have been good for them ....
You seem close to the situation, so I'll grant you some credibility here. If those same guys take those games but walk out from their seasonal assignments, they are hypocrites. The only reason Drake, et al are taking those assignments is because theyarethisclose to not having to worry about MiLB any longer. If they can shine and a WUA guy goes down, they have a chance to shine and jump to a bigger, better world. I better not see any letters with their names on them. This is a classic example of "Do as I say, not as I do." If you are strong enough to stand for your rights, why would you tread on anothers'?

The clock is ticking and these guys know it. Do some reserach about how the umpire development program in the Minors had to let go of their own staff over the years due to budget cuts. Evaluators, administrators and field guys all worked for peanuts and lost jobs when times got tough. The front office guys don't give too much heed to the boys in blue or the men who guide them. It's a fact of life that is becoming apparent a little too late for 200 guys. Circle the wagons and go for a moderate increase - save the season and your dreams. You only get one shot at life guys, make the most of it or you'll be an old umpire who wishes he made more of it. I'm done being the heavy here. I wish you luck and hope that MiLB blinks soon. We are a couple weeks away from the first local games and I'm getting itchy. I know that you are too.