View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by Carl Childress

Officiating.com has published today a free article written by Jason Millsap, a minor league umpire.

Papa C before I comment, please clarify something for me.

When Richie Phillips and the Umpires Union went on strike, did the Minor league Umpires "cross the picket Line" so to speak?

If they did, then the article holds no credence because it becomes hypocritical. On one hand they do not want "other umpires" taking Minor league assignments, but it was ok for them to take Big league Assignments.

Thanks

Pete Booth
In 1984 when the MLB umpires "walked out" at the end of the season, well-known college umpies filled in.

In the American League Championship Series (Kansas City v Detroit, won by Detroit 3-0), a former major league umpire, Bill Deegan, called all three plates. The other umpires were:

Game 1: Bill Deegan, Jon Bible, Randy Cristal, Larry Zirbel, Harold Jordan, Mike O'Dell

Game 2: Bill Deegan, Jon Bible, Randy Cristal, Bob Jones, Richard Denny, Carl Nothnagel

Game 3: Bill Deegan, Jon Bible, Randy Cristal, Doug Cossey, Dick Runchey, Dick Zivic

In 1979, minor league umpire filled in. Several, one of whom was Dave Pallone, became permanent members of the staff.