View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:42am
Courageous When Prudent

When you're making the call you how do you know if no one else saw it? You have your integrity to think about.

Here are 2 anedoctal stories just to let you know you should always do the right thing when you're on the court.

1) A friend of mine was in their 2nd year of officiating and doing a little kids Rec League game out in the boonies. Turns out an NBA ref was there to watch his child play. After the game NBA Ref came up to my friend, introduced himself, and said he would be glad to come out one day and evaluate. My friend emailed him their schedule and one day out the blue NBA Ref showed up at what has to be the worst adult rec league in the area. The 2 became good friends and now my friend in just their 5th season of officiating has worked their way into 4 NCAA conferences, including one D1.

2) Some of the local HS games are televised on the city educational channels (with announcers). I'm working a BV (3-man) in the trail. A1 drives to the hole. As A1 passes the free throw line I whistle A2 for a block b/c in an attempt to slide over and set a screen he got there late and his left foot tripped defender B1. The home crowd and coach react in bewilderment at my call. A2 walks over to me in front of the table and says "Good call Ref". When I watch the videotape of the game the play-by-play man reacts in the same bewilderment at my call and says I made a phantom call. Then a few seconds later his partner says "yeah but the player just walked up to the ref and said good call; guess the only 2 people in the gym who knew it was a good call were the player and the ref". Close examination of the replay also verified that I made the correct call.

Moral of the stories: Always do the right thing, you never know who's watching or who's filming.