Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
Zebra, Mick, Chuck,

The question becomes - WHEN do you go "on ball" in your primary? When you stop rotating? Can you resist the urge, as Chuck does, and go on ball almost from the get go?
There are times when you are going out and the drive is coming in. Do you stop and referee that drive or do you continue to rotate and watch anything BUT the ball?

Because we have adopted the Women's mechanic on their expanded Lead coverage, it has become a big deal down here. We had 2 or 3 different camps yesterday. That is why I wanted to put it here and get y'all's input.

In my crew, I want the C to have clear expectations from me as I rotate into him/her.

Mulk
Mulk,
Like I intimated, the lead comes over to help until the play make its natural progression to *something else* [next play].

The timing of that change to *something else* can easily be shown, like zebraman said, with body angle [body language] and when the Center recognizes Lead's presence by backing out to Trail.
As the Trail backs out, he concedes the Leads area and then Lead will be *home* instead of just visiting.
[Of course, sometimes, with the ball going low and a crowd of players on Center's side, it is proper for the Lead to take the ball and may well *force* the Center to Trail.]

As for Chuck's cross-over and immediate attention to the ball, there's more good to that than bad, because then we know that the ball is being officiated, as opposed to the Center possibly giving it up, while Chuck is still in the quicksand on his cross-over.

Our protection for these cross-over plays is the long fist that tells us "I got it", "You got it", or "Let's talk."
mick
Mick,

Long fist?

mulk
I believe he means the opposite of briefly and succinctly, right mick?

Iow, hold the fist and make eye contact with your partner to determine "I got it", "You got it", or "Let's talk."

(Used with permission.)